Friday, July 20, 2007

Thursday and Friday are One

Well, I cannot sleep. Or perhaps, on some subconscious level, I don't want to. The sun is officially up (I think) which means I stop trying to go to sleep. Just finished watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for the hundredth time or so. That is, hands down, my favorite movie of all time. If you haven't seen it yet, go watch it now. Please. It is necessary.
I'm a huge Jim Carey fan. The man has a great deal of talent, far more than any give him credit for. I guess he cursed himself with being too good a physical comedian, leading to difficulty in anyone seeing him in any other light.
In truth, though, I guess my interest in this movie has more to do with my twisted attraction towards movies having to do with sad and often doomed romances. My top three movies would be: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Requiem for a Dream and Lost in Translation. Great flicks. If you haven't seen one or more of them, again - check them out. I suppose out of the three, the open ending of Spotless leaves a happier taste in the mouth. However, I have had a few discussions with people about it and they have different takes on what happened after the final scene. Unsurprisingly, I prefer my view.

I feel a bit like babbling. Honestly, I also feel as if this feeling is going to quickly wear off. In the meantime, I'll aimlessly speak of other movies I happen to like and, if I can explain, why.
The Jacket, for the same twisted romance angle and because their is something about time travel that takes hold of my attention. That's the reason behind my interest in Donnie Darko and Twelve Monkeys as well. Admittedly, Monkeys was a pretty bad movie. The plot was random, at best. Nevertheless, when it is on I am hooked.
The Final Cut and One Hour Photo because I think Robin Williams is another underrated actor, in regards to serious roles. While photo was sketchy at times, Cut was pure genius. Did I ever mention I'm a freak for the unrealistic. Throw in time travel, or some twisted futuristic technology and I'm in for the long haul. What can I say? All I read as a child were fantasy novels. The real world seems so damn boring, doesn't it?
300 and The Last Samurai because I have an obsession (racking them up here, aren't I?) with the classic warrior model and all the honor that was involved. Modern warfare is so impersonal in my mind. A true, honorable warrior gives his enemy the respect of looking in his eyes as he plunges his sword into their gut. I see no valor in picking an enemy off at a mile away. Whenever I catch a Discovery Channel special featuring previews to "the future weapons" that will kill a man from a greater distance a bit of the Samurai inside of me dies.

There are more -PiƱero, Come see the Paradise, Manic and Crash to name a few - but I am officially tired of babbling. You are now free to read verse. Enjoy.

Bus Ride Observation


Innocently eying the interaction
of the couple across from me
and I wonder...

Why doesn't anyone really speak any more?

Our mouths are better labeled
assholes
with all the shit they spew.

No comments: