Monday, June 23, 2008

Happy Endings

Greetin's and all that jazz, dear readers. How the hell are ya? I'm fine; thanks for asking. I know... I should have updated on Saturday... but shit happens. The shit can be generally summed up as alcohol. Too much alcohol. I was done a couple times over. That night I went to a sushi at a friends house. In Harlem. I know... Harlem and Sushi are not two ideas you'd typically link together. Nevertheless, it was a sushi and saki party in Harlem... on a Friday night.
I didn't really touch the saki. I'm not big on it. I did, however, annihilate about two bottles of plum wine. Throw in a couple shots of gin, a couple cups of cranberry and vodka, a shot of jose, a few beers and a glass of henny [more or less in that order] and you have one fucked up River Man.
One of the good outcomes, though, was a connection. I met some guy who'd lived in France and got involved with the whole Parkour scene. A scene I've been trying to dive into for about 3 years now. He seems interested in making a crew and getting some things done -- we'll see if it all pans out.
So, needless to say, Saturday was spent in recoup. Saturday night I had some 'hair of the dog' therapy. D and I killed a half a bottle of Patron.
Sunday... I don't know what the hell I did Sunday. Damn memory problems...

Fun fun. Onward with the piece.



10,957


Turning Thirty
felt wrong.
At 12:00 AM I recalled
a drunken conversation
from years before.
"Guys like us...
We ain't meant to make it to 30."
We'd laugh
proud of the prevalence
for a early demise
in our world.

Jay lived up to his word
taking 2 shots in the chest
at twenty-three.

Hector overdosed at twenty-four
speedballing in his mothers house
at 2 in the morning.

Eddy was convicted at twenty-five,
25 to life.
He lost the latter at twenty-eight
over a lunch tray.

Rich almost made it,
twenty-nine,
-- at least he left a son behind.

12:00 AM
and I wondered why
I was still alive.
At every funeral
the preacher repeated
"The good die young."

I found myself
repeating their words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So do u stil believe that u will die before for u hit thirty or are u feeling lucky?

River Man said...

Me? I don't know. I'm a different person then I was when we joked about that.
Different life.
Safer life.
But who can call something like that?

I have high hopes to make it past 30.
Only the good die young. ;)