Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Come and Take Them

Busy week for the ol' River Man. Saw Reno 911, The Number 23 and 300 (note: it has just dawned on me that they all have numbers involved in the titles somehow). For the most part, Reno was funny. Although, I found myself desiring some wit, instead of the relentless bombardment of stupidity that has dominated comedies as of late. 23 was great. The ending felt a bit forced - some connective tissue was definitely missing. Overall though it was an amazing movie, as well as another example of Jim Carey's abilities as a serious actor. If you haven't seen The Majestic or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, you are seriously missing out... especially with the latter. 300 was incredible. This is a movie more driven by honor than The Last Samurai (running into a hail of bullets for your beliefs) or Braveheart (entering a suspected trap for the possibility of obtaining freedom). If you know the story of Thermopylae, then you can assume how it ends. Nevertheless, it makes you want to purge the world of fire arms and return warfare to it honorable beginnings -- face to face, sword to sword.
Enough with the movie critic role! I am (if I were to leave this very moment) an hour late for work. Tardiness is becoming more frequent; Perhaps my subconscious is aiming for my release from one of these positions. On the other hand, maybe I'm just damned lazy. Either way, onward with the verse.



Peccavi


Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of poverty and disgrace
Silently simmering love in a tablespoon in my bedroom
Blanking out to the sweet sounds of Dylan.
God, forgive me
but I've lost my faith in you.
In me a muted fire burns its final log to ash and I tire
of trying to fit my technicolor mind
into the world of gray you've placed before me. Why try?
Death seeks out the joyous
So I've made it my mission to smile the widest
Still the reaper avoids me
Maybe he knows my plan
Maybe Lachesis has extended her rod and
Atropos has cast an idle eye to their garden flowers
in hopes my begrimed thread will rot itself away.
-Heartless wretches, the lot of the sentient world-
I refuse to be part of it
Found all the love I need in darkness and needle points
I have no need for the living
With their shamed looks and whispers
The judgment of one guilty man
cast from the lips of another
is nothing but a mockery of honor and sense.
Wanton behavior at best and
I won't have any of it.
Now if you will,
Please allow me to excuse myself
as a man of poverty and disgrace
Been around a long, long year
Sold my soul
and
Burnt my faith.

No comments: