Saturday, March 17, 2007

And Still My Emerald Heart Beats

Happy St. Patrick's Day, all! Yes, I am Irish -and Puerto Rican- and bleed green like the best of them. St. Patrick's day has always been a happy day for me. When I was younger, no matter her condition at the time, my mother would always make corn beef and cabbage ("More Yank than Irish" says a friend of mine) on Saint Patty's. I never did enjoy it, but there was something about having that one tradition in the otherwise tradition-less house --It was the only real 'holiday' we 'celebrated'. As I got older, it shifted to a reason to drink and be merry... simultaneously of course. I would gather my friends, be them Irish or not, and get absolutely wasted. Eventually, even that became old. Now I just get a smile on my face upon waking, don a green shirt, have a couple drinks and let my emerald heart beat.
So, in honor of this day, the next pint is on me! Enjoy the day, everyone, because its not only about the Irish -- it's about the underdog. It's about raising up past all that stands in your way, and lending a hand to someone who is having trouble with their own obstacles. A celebration of humanity and our bond with one another.

Enough preaching! You've got drinking to do!



Silencing the Banshee


When all the world raises
to meet me in war or just in jest
I do not fear a moment,
thank the Shamrock in my chest.
When all the darkness sets in
and light cannot be seen,
I know that all around me
I've got the mighty green.
When the ground twists and bulges
to block my steadfast stride,
I rise above on Emerald wings
and soar on Irish Pride.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty Damn good :-)...Happy Irish Day

Anonymous said...

GREAT POEM!!!!IRISH BOY!!!!!!